06 April 2011

kinda creepy


I was checking my Twitter feed today and found this gem. It's creepy, and I know a few people who had this happen to them. Do not want.

Also, I've been realizing already how being off FaceBook really makes relationships seem more real. I can tell who is my friend and who is my FaceBook friend. Instead of just typing my name into a search bar, you actually have to take the effort to call, text, or *gasp* actually see me in person. I realize I have some strictly internet friends, but I'm not counting them, I'm talking about the friends on campus, and those who can call/text me without a charge up the ass. I have my good international/out of state friends numbers' already anyway. It's also interesting the number of people who gave me their phone number (when I didn't previously have it) right before I logged off for good. I got 2 new phone numbers, and that proves that I'm more than just a FaceBook Friend.

I was reading in a book for class, "My Life as an Experiment" and it's about this guy, A.J. Jacobs, who does certain things for 30-50 days. In this chapter he was being honest 24-7. No white lies, no nothing. It ended with this quote:
It's going to be hard to keep secrets when every second of your life is Twittered [or FaceBooked] and satellite-photographed and captured by tiny camera. The truth will out.
That is also kind of scary. If you think about the things people actually post on things like FaceBook and Twitter, it can definitely get pretty personal. Nothing is private anymore. You say something bad about one person on the Internet, and somehow it can (and will) get back to them. Once it's out there, you can't really take it back. Being unplugged from FaceBook really helps me realize that. The first thing I told myself was, "Wow, I have a private life..."

I'm liking the feeling of being unplugged.

1 comment:

  1. I really love MLAE. For real. Probably way too much. I get all giddy when I see it on the syllabus.

    ReplyDelete