11 April 2011

Day 7 & 8


I'm starting a new feature called:


I've done this before, but not with the fancy header. This will be the visual finds, demanding me to like them. I have four listed on my previous post, so let's continue with #5.

  • 5) I went shopping with my mother in the quaint town of St. Charles, Illinois. We had received coupons for a little shop called Jeans and a Cute Top Shop from Groupon. It's a cute shop, but really expensive. I'm talking over $100 for a pair of jeans. Usually this isn't the type of place my mom or I like to shop, but we had a coupon! On the register was a huge sign saying, "Like us on FaceBook!" I'm assuming, since it's an expensive place, the majority of people who shop there are older women. (What 20-something has that much money to spend on jeans?) Since the older demographic are on FaceBook now, this makes sense to have a sign. After inspecting their FaceBook page (I did it for research) it looks like they give out coupons, show the new styles and merchandise, and overall just use it to get their new items out. Interesting, when I googled Jeans and a Cute Top Shop, the first link was their FaceBook page. Their actual website is just a jpeg image. I wonder how many other companies are going through FaceBook as their main website? Is that professionally acceptable now-a-days?
  • 6) This past weekend I returned to my dance studio from my youth, Moves. I'm apart of a modern dance company called Sixth Position, and we held an improv workshop fundraiser for our final show in July. Posted right below the clock in one of the big studios was a sign saying, "Hey Kids! Find us on FaceBook!" I like the opener of "Hey Kids!" Unlike number 5 above, this sign is geared towards the younger demographic. Moves generally houses dancers ages 3-18. I must confess, I believe I am a fan of them on FaceBook... From what I can remember, they mostly post about upcoming dance events, reminders about the recital, etc. Other than that... there really isn't a point to 'liking' them.

I would also like to comment onthese two websites I found.
They are both basically the same thing, meaning they have the same concept. Fans of the site send in screen caps of their FaceBook feed when something moronic happens. The names of the people are censored, unless they are openly mocking something... like the picture above. These are fun to look at, but they get old. I'm more of a fan of the former because the people who manage the site are smart and credited people. The main guy, Emerson Spartz, founded Mugglenet.com. MUGGLENET! I was impressed. Won me over in a jiffy. Lamebook, on the other hand, exploits only real people (no fun Harry Potter madness over there!) and goes so far as to include non-censored pictures... which they then openly mock. Not cool, I would be furious.

One last thing, I promise.
(This is what happens when I don't blog all weekend)
This article. (Notice how the picture is from Unfriendable.com. Why?! Because these two sites are run by the mugglenet guy. SO respected right now) So, unfriend is 2009's word of the year? Personally, I defriend people, but unfriend is apparently more commonly used. I know words get added to the dictionary yearly, but it's weird to see it happen in my lifetime. I was alive for FaceBook and Twitter's birth, I'm not supposed to be this old!

No comments:

Post a Comment