13 April 2011

Day 10 - you can't expect solid numbers from a FaceBook event

Today is my brothers birthday, I wonder how many wall posts he'll get?

Today we also learn about the timing of FaceBook events. This Friday is the Day of Silence/Night of Noise drag show on campus. The show depends on people dressing up in drag, lip syncing silly songs and dancing. The president of the GSA (aka Outreach) sends out FaceBook invites over a month ago. Since then though, I haven't heard anything about dates, times, where it is, etc. Not since yesterday did I see publicity posted through out the walls of public campus buildings, so unknowing to me I planned something with a few other friends that night. I'm confronted by the president today, I tell him, "I'm sorry, but I already made other plans because no one has really told me anything." He mentions the FaceBook invite from months ago, but no one actually notices the date in those things until the night of, or if you're lucky, a few days before. You can't expect solid numbers from a FaceBook event, especially one posted that far in advance. You wanna get real numbers, talk to people in person. (What a foreign concept!!)

The kicker? He posted on my wall about the music choice for the show. Clearly, I'm not checking my FaceBook! Miss Carly showed me, so again, I didn't cheat and log on myself. I'm starting to think I should have just deactivated it, because even though I'm not logging onto FaceBook, I still get the drama, just a bit more indirectly.

I'm considering giving everyone of my friends my email address, a link to my other blog, and deactivating all together once this term is over. You don't realize how personal you get on FaceBook until you move yourself away from it. And really, the friends I talk to most, I don't converse with on FaceBook. It's just a tool to stalk and be stalked.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I feel like they should have blurred out "Chelsea Rouleau" as well. Stalk-stalk-stalk.

    Your failbook experiment is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete