04 April 2011

Day I: So it begins.

For my Creative Nonfiction class with Zachary Michael Jack, I was asked to give up or add something to my life. Challenge myself, do experiments with myself in order to create an interesting piece of nonfiction. So I thought, "hmm, I'm not a TV addict, no way in hell I'm giving up YouTube, I don't have any knitting obsessions... how about FaceBook?" I've been wanting break free from my FaceBook chains for a while now, but haven't had to guts to do it. Thankfully this assignment was created, not to mention I have 6 hours worth of classes just on Tuesday-Thursday alone...

Let's begin. I'm just going to say it... I'm a FaceBook addict. In the morning, before I even get out of bed, I grab my phone and check FaceBook, Twitter, and my email. All while I'm safe and warm under my covers. It's terrible. Are baby photos of Freyja and status about people complaining really that important?! No, but apparently I think so.

There is always a FaceBook tab open. Whenever I see the (1) in the tab preview, I check it right away, then I get distracted with a status, oh! Lizzie has a new profile picture. Look, she knit something really cute, that reminds me, how is Ashley? Is she still knitting? Wow, this person, who I don't know, is really weird looking, why is this persons profile picture a pokemon? Is there some sort of event I don't know about? Oh look, I got invited to, "Change you profile picture to your favorite pokemon" month. From then on, I gotta google-search Bidoof, save to my computer, upload on FaceBook, and BAM, comments come flooding in already.

.... really? Really Aimee? That was at least 15-20 minutes, wasted away on Bidoof.

So, this is where the action starts. On the evening of April 3rd, I trusted my boyfriend Julien to change my FaceBook password. I figure that is the best way to avoid it. I don't have the will to just not log in, Google Chrome can't simply block websites, and I don't want to deactivate it. But, if you think about it, all of those other plans of actions can be reversed. Having Julien, who is in Montreal, change my password is fool-proof. There is no way I can reverse that.

Now here I am. Right after he changed it I flipped a little, but the initial ...shit has worn off. Thus far it hasn't affected me much... I've been busy creating this blog, so I'm not too terribly bored at work. I'll keep you updated with further feelings.

Last message I saw: Bradley Palko.
Last friend I added: Cassy S... something.

No comments:

Post a Comment